Saturday, August 20, 2011

Doormat

There are some days that I swear if one were to look up the definition for "pushover," there would be picture of me as an example. I have the most difficult time saying no to certain requests that I would rather avoid. I often acquiesce to the desires of others over my own because previous experience has proven that is the path of least resistance. The few times I have taken a stand, the results were rather embarrassing and not at all effective in changing the outcome.  By now, I am so used either to being taken for granted when needed or overlooked when no longer useful, that I tend to take it in stride. However, as I get older, I admit that it really shouldn't be like this. Still, old habits die hard...and I am not sure if I am anywhere near changing this.

I began thinking a bit about this as a result of what happened last Wednesday. About a month ago, I made a long-deferred doctor's appointment with a new physician (my previous one having moved away -- just as the one before him had done).  When it finally rolled around, I made arrangements for time away from work, mustered the motivation to go in the first place (I loathe going to the doctors having spent too much time in their company as a child), and  arrived the designated fifteen minutes prior to the appointment.  Almost immediately after handing over my insurance card, I found myself shuttled over to the scheduler. My appointment had been "bumped." In an apparent 'oversight,' I had not been informed of said cancellation. The next available appointment for this particular doctor was not for another month. Stunned by the sheer frustration I felt, I accepted without much thought.

If I had been able to articulate what was running through my mind, I would have questioned how I had not been made aware of this before dragging myself away from work. I would have asked why there wasn't anything available sooner considering I had already been waiting for over a month for this particular appointment. (While it was meant to be a routine checkup, I had also been hoping to discuss the headaches that have been pretty much plaguing me every day this summer.) I would have made it very clear that it was unacceptable not to communicate cancellations like this considering how many arrangements sometimes need to be made to free a couple of hours during the day (I am lucky in that I have a manager who is flexible about such things and I do not have anyone dependent on me for their care). I would have...I don't know...demanded justice or at least an acknowledgement that they screwed up. Basically, I would have done everything BUT what I actually did--meekly accepting the proffered appointment with an uncalled level of gratitude, doing my best to mask my frustration and confusion. I barely managed not to storm out of the office and kept myself from crying.

When I got back from my fruitless little trip, I bent the ears of two very kind friends at work pointing out the injustice of it all. But really, I wasn't frustrated with the doctor's office. I was mad at myself for not taking control of the situation. There were better options available to me at the time, yet I couldn't find the words to say or do anything, and because I never like to act out of emotion, I just let it happen. A recurring theme in my life sadly--where I sit back and let things just happen. While there are clear instances of when I have mustered the strength to do what I want, most times, I just go where someone else points, doing what I am told. It happens all the time with my family and it happens on occasion at work. I do as I am asked because I know nothing better, and really, I seem to work best doing what others tell me to do.

Has my life been adversely affected by this path? Not particularly as far as I can see. However, if I don't start looking out for my own interests, my own passions, they will get further lost as they are subordinated to the whims of others. But how does one truly go about that? I guess my reticence comes with walking that fine line between assertive and arrogant as well as the line between the line between supportive and submissive. I don't want to come across as arrogant or rude or selfish, but I am sick of feeling powerless especially since I am the one who has put myself in that position. Perhaps I just need to find the one thing about which I will not compromise...maybe that will help. But until then, a doormat I will probably remain.

(Just as a quick author's note--there is some exaggeration here. I am fortunate to have friends, family, and co-workers who do not exploit this weakness of mine. And while it does happen that I feel used or taken for granted on occasion within those groups, it is often a matter of my perception mixed with a negative mood...no fault on the parts of others.)

1 comment:

  1. Wendy, I am exactly the same! Our new landlord is walking all over us right now. I just sent a very firm and official e-mail and that was hard for me. Next step is a certified letter if the e-mail doesn't bring about any thing, which I am even more embarrassed about. If the Doctor's office does this again, you should ask them if they charge for short-notice canceled appointments. If so, then tell them that is also your policy and ask them for your money ;) Hehe. If things get nasty with my landlord, then I will remind him that he wouldn't be very happy if I paid my rent 4 weeks late, just as our repairs have been 4 weeks late. Snarky....I know! :)

    ReplyDelete