Monday, September 5, 2011

Nashville

The past week, I had been counting down the days. Not only was there a three-day weekend on the horizon, but I was heading southeast to visit my best friend and her family in Nashville. It also happened that this was the weekend her second daughter was to be baptized, so I had the privilege of sharing that with her and her family. But all the flurry of activity did not prevent me from having some time to explore the city, and while it was a cursory tour at best, I definitely was impressed by the rich mix of history and culture to be found in Music City.

Were you aware that in Nashville, you can stroll along in a park only to find, looming before you, an exact replica of the Parthenon? Built for a world exhibition at the end of the 19th century, this homage to Ancient Greek culture dominates the beautiful landscape of Centennial Park. The park grounds are simple but lovely, and I would have stayed a little longer if it were not so oppressively hot. Summer still has its claws firmly in place here (while I hear that in Kansas City, fall is making a quiet entrance), and there is nothing that puts a damper on my adventurous spirit than excessive heat and humidity.






Still, not being completely dissuaded, I headed further into the heart of Nashville, looking to explore a bit of the city center while having my heart set on one destination in particular—Nashville’s downtown library. I had not read anything in particular that made me seek it out, but noticing it on my map, I felt drawn to find it. And, eventually, I did.  However, the directions I had received from Google Maps had failed to take into consideration the fact that a good number of roads were shut down for some kind of festival over the Labor Day weekend. Being at a disadvantage already for not really knowing where I was going, I found myself circling around blocks a few times through, stopping once when I happened upon the Farmer’s Market. (It has nice facilities and some intriguing permanent stores, but I would argue City Market in KC offers more variety of goods and produce. Still, I was able to sample some delicious sour dough bread and some decadent chocolate peanut butter cheesecake. Cannot complain about that!) Eventually, I inadvertently stumbled upon my destination, only recognizable by the sculpture of a stack of books in front of this massive neoclassical building.

Nashville Public Library
My endeavors were worth the effort. From the copper engravings on the front doors to the enormous, airy atrium that greets you upon entry to the three jam-packed floors, I was enthralled. I took my time walking the stacks on each floor, observing the layout, the services offered and the like. Part of this is a professional hazard. More of it, though, was just this sense of appreciation for a space where people can come to read, research, relax even. The number of windows, facing all sides of Nashville’s downtown area, added to the beauty of the surroundings, instilling it with a certain character and charm that helped soften the imposing elegance of its particular architectural style.
While the books were my initial draw, I also discovered that the library has several of its own little art galleries. The one I walked through was a collection of portraits featuring those arrested during the Civil Rights era, the backgrounds of the portraits dotted with ephemera from the era capturing their supposed crimes. Each work seemed imbued with a sense of strength, beauty and sadness. The history of Nashville had not made an impression on me until then, and yet I know  so much more waits to be uncovered. It will be those things I explore on my next visit, when there is a little less chaos and a little more time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment