Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Just the Beginning

I used to say that I lose a small piece of my heart every time I travel, falling in love at least a little bit with the destination, its people, and the experiences and leaving a part of me behind. However, it really makes no sense to think of it as a loss. More accurately, my heart grows with each new experience as I explore, learn, and live. And what is life really about if not growing and, in turn, helping others grow, too?

My time in Croatia proved far more expansive than I could have ever imagined. The group I traveled with was small--it was just me, an amazing couple from Calgary, and our intelligent and ever-so patient guide. Together, we explored the innumerable natural treasures of Croatia, engaged in conversations about just about anything, and had a lot of fun.

Over the next couple of weeks, I hope to use this blog not only to chronicle my time outdoors, but to apply some of what I learned to my life now. Yes, this trip was meant to be one that transported me away from the worries of day-to-day life, but it is impossible for me to divorce my experiences in Croatia from the context in which the needs was created. (Basically, there was a reason I needed to get away, and if I don't figure out what that was, much of the perspective I have gained this past 10 days will be lost.)

As will soon become apparent, my time in Croatia did something I have hope would happen--it has sparked my desire to write again. I have written and rewritten accounts of the past few days, several pages of thoughts, impressions, and even a few questions. I will do my best to spare you of all the excessive details, distilling my words to reflect only the more interesting experiences and insights. Please be patient, though, because I am still searching for the write voice in which to share these stories.  Also, if you want to hear more about something, please ask! Although, I am not really sure if anyone would dare ask me for more details...:)

There is a lot to go through, and so much that is important to me but may be of little interest to you. Now it is just a matter of catering to your needs.

No comments:

Post a Comment