Sunday, March 13, 2011

On a Lighter Note...

So, as I read through my last post, I realized it was heavy on the angst and light on humor (it is important to provide some balance).  I promise I really do not go through all of my life pondering deep philosophical questions or pining for the good old days...just every other Saturday, when there is a full moon, and the entire month of February.

That out of the way, as a kind of get-to-know-me better exercise, I thought I would list six fun facts about me.  (The hard part is thinking of six facts that the majority of my audience doesn't already know!  And facts that may be considered fun.)  Regardless, here are things you may not know about me:


  • My favorite childhood stuffed animal, my rabbit Peta, has a special place in my room.  I received her from my Grandma and Grandpa Tanner for Easter when I was six (her back story, about her life before she arrived in Texas is quite elaborate, if you are ever interested), and she has pretty much been at my side ever since...seriously, she has traveled to the Vatican, Ireland, Chicago, and Oregon, among other locales.  She is notorious for causing trouble and has a reputation as a serious drinker...
Trip to Oregon 2007


  • When I was in the fourth grade, I had a singing part in the school Christmas pageant.  I played the music teacher.  I sang the song "Everybody Wants to be Santa."  At random times, the only part of the song I remember runs through my brain. It is one of those songs that should never have been written.  And no, there is no photographic evidence of this particular event...
  • My favorite food is bread. Seriously. If you were to look in my grocery cart on any given week, you will most likely find at least three types of bread. Sometimes I wonder if I look crazy having a loaf of bread and a package of bagels and a package of English muffins in my cart. (Because I often visit more than one grocery store when shopping, though, I spread out my bread purchases a bit so it doesn't look like I am living on rations of bread and water...or in my case, bread and Diet Dr. Pepper)
  • I am the highly suggestible type.  If you are a passionate, charismatic speaker, I am likely to buy into your message with little urging, at least for the next few days.  Knowing that, if you are a scam artist, there is only a short window of opportunity to capitalize on my naivete. After that, my critical thinking skills (and skepticism) kick in, and the promise of buying an acre on the moon for ten payments of $19.99 or of happiness being five steps away with the purchase of this handy-dandy manual  seem a little less like the world's best investment. 
  • At one point in my life, I could recite the dialog for just about every Simpsons episode from seasons one through about ten.  This strange talent emerged after my decision to forgo the evermore depressing national news in favor of that quirky family in Springfield throughout my high school years.  Who needs to memorize great works of literature when one can focus her brain power on pop culture icons instead?
  • While the thought of speaking up in a meeting at work or talking with a stranger makes me physically ill, I have no problem singing every week at church in front of at least a hundred other people. And I don't do this as a member of a larger choir.  Most often, it is just the accompanist, the music minister, and me. At least during some parts of the service it is just me. And even though I know that music ministry is to enhance the worship experience of others, I recognize that this is my one little way into the spotlight. (Really, I would be flattering myself too many people take notice)  There must be something about the separation between me and those who are in the church that makes it easy to do this.  

There you have it. Something with a bit of randomness to it.  I encourage you to post a fun fact about yourself because really, who wants only to hear about me?

3 comments:

  1. Love the fun facts! I had no idea you watched the Simpsons so much. I never really got into it.

    And that Peta looks like a LUSH haha.

    My fun (or not so fun) fact: For 28 of my 29 years of life, I never really had dreams (or ones that I can remember), but now I have been having the straaaaangest ones. Last night I dreamt that when my husband got out of the shower he had left a bunch of chopped up carrot pieces in it. I just kept saying, "And I guess you expect me to clean up these carrots! They will never fit down the drain!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. So a lesser known fun fact about me? Not sure, you might know this, but not many others do...

    I am a closet trekkie. I spent most of my junior high and high school years watching Star Trek: The Next Generation (and the other series), reading Star Trek novels, and playing e-mail Role Playing Games that involved making up characters and writing about imaginary missions. I was piloting a starship before I could drive, and by the age of 15 I had earned the rank of Vice Admiral in a fairly large fleet of online writers ranging in age from teens to adults.

    In your last post you talked about the freedom in writing that you felt as a child, this was definitely a time when I felt excited about writing and free to let my creativity run wild! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Amanda -- Carrots, huh? I wonder what that means...a quick check of a dream dictionary says that seeing carrots means fertility and abundance. The whole shower thing is a little more ambiguous. Anyway, take that for what you will!

    @Amy -- I knew that you had lots of Star Trek books, but I am not sure that I realized the extent of it :) Wonder if either of us will ever find something we feel so excited to write about that our creatvitiy will ever run wild.

    ReplyDelete