Monday, March 14, 2011

Smile

There is so much sadness in the world right now, both on a global scale and in the lives of many of my friends that I find it hard to know what to say.  I could discuss the devastation plaguing the people of Japan, the ongoing turmoil in Libya, or any number of the other tragedies to be found in the news today. I choose not to do this, though, because while the troubles of the world are important and deserve our attention, I think sometimes we burden ourselves with so much information to the point of feeling hopeless.  With so much despair in the world, it seems wrong to be happy.

I won't even pretend that things will go back to how they were.  The world is ever evolving, and no matter how much we may want to stop it from spinning for even a second, we don't have that kind of control.  So we must learn to live with what we know to be true, and we must look to each other for support. Remember the things that make us happy, that make us laugh out loud. And that even in the darkest of times, there is a reason smile.

My reasons to smile:  

Friends, new and old who support, encourage, and understand

Family, who no matter how crazy, are always there for me
(a special shout out to my cousins, who are still young enough to be absolutely adorable :)

Spring and sunshine

Watching people jam out to the radio on their commute home 

This photo and all the memories it represents


What makes you smile?


1 comment:

  1. Hi Wendy, I'm so happy you found my blog. But, now I feel the pressure to make sure my blog is typo free! :) Hope that made you smile.

    ReplyDelete