Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Springtime

I think it is actually here.  No more false alarms or merciless teasing.  Winter seems finally to be taking its leave of the Kansas City area, and I for one am ready to fully embrace the beginning of spring.  The past couple of days have been picture perfect.  Sunny and warm, but not too hot.  Add on the extra hour of daylight after work (the only good thing about losing an hour of sleep on Sunday), and there is every reason to be outdoors, soaking it all in.

I never realized the true beauty of spring until having lived in an area that experiences real winter.  (Sorry, Texas. Temperatures dropping below freezing every so often from December through February don't really count.)  While I appreciate that all seasons have a unique beauty--for all its hassles, there is nothing like a pure blanket of snow to make even the grimiest of views look magnificent--spring is the one that excites me most.  Perhaps it is all the pent up energy that has been building since the short days have kept me indoors.  Maybe it is being able to leave the house without five layers on to keep out the cold. Most likely though, it is watching a city come to awaken from its hibernation.  

After work yesterday, I went for a long walk.  I started out on the local Trolley Trail with no real destination in mind.  Fairly quickly, I reached the end of this particular leg of the trail, but my feet compelled me further.  I crossed over the creek toward the Country Club Plaza (one of Kansas City's greatest treasures), but not wanting to make my way through the crowds of people or the crush of cars, I veered east and headed to one of my absolute favorite places in Kansas City.  It was as if my feet knew exactly what I needed without having to let my head in on the secret.

Looming over a meticulously manicured lawn stands the neoclassical building housing the Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art. Inside are masterpieces from all over the world, from ancient Egypt to Renaissance Italy to modern America.  Each wing of the museum could make one pause for some time, and an entire may be lost in its premises.  I passed several winter days here quite contentedly, but I have to admit that I longed for it to be warm enough outside to bask in the sun.  

Because as impressive as everything inside happens to be, I find more to do on the outside.  Whether it be strolling through the sculpture garden (of which, the most distinguishable pieces are the gigantic shuttlecocks) or finding a bench to sit and read, there is plenty to do or see.  I have seen flag football games played on the lawn.  I have seen people flying kites. I have even seen people performing plays.  The randomness of what one may encounter is one of the things that keeps drawing me back.

It is a place where can watch smiling families enjoy a picnic, new couples enjoying a romantic stroll, or artists honing their skills.  It is a place I can sit by myself and read a book without fear of interruption. I imagine it is  a place I could write if I ever find the nerve to start crafting stories again. But none of these possibilities occur to me during the winter.  Like the rest of the city, my mind is shaking off the slumber of the winter and waking up alive and refreshed.  And maybe, just maybe, I can find a way to capture the essence of spring and have it sustain me all year through.

Do you have a place you gravitate to? If so, what makes it so special for you?

(Amazingly enough, I do not have any of my own pictures of the museum.  I never really have been much of a photographer.  I promise to have a camera with me next time I start to wander!)*


Addendum:  Went for a walk this evening and took some photos: 


Southern side of the museum. This is where I usually hang out.

Northern entrance.  Love the reflection pond.







2 comments:

  1. Austin. Town Lake's trails. I long for those places.

    I also understand how you like to see what's going on outside the museum. I still haven't seen all the exhibits in Getty (despite quite a few trips) because I tend to spend most of my time wandering around the garden, looking at the city's skyline, and watching people sip their wine out on the lawn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never been on any of Austin's trails, but I bet they are fabulous. Austin definitely does that kind of stuff right.

    And isn't people-watching fun? Certainly makes for a fun experience.

    ReplyDelete