Sunday, May 1, 2011

This and That...

It has been one of those days where I have felt the need to be in motion. Beginning at 6:30 this morning, I have been compelled to stay in motion, flitting from one activity to another. While helpful in getting things done, it certainly leaves one feeling a bit more tired at the end of the day. My only hope is that it will help me sleep better tonight than I did last night. Tossing, turning, and waking up every hour does not lend itself to feeling rested.

Of the things I did today, I am most pleased with how my latest baking experiment turned out. Looking for something to bring to welcome a new co-worker tomorrow, I browsed several websites looking for something simple enough to make, that didn't require a special trip to the store for ingredients, and would be well-received by pretty much anyone.  I chose to make "Magic in the Middles," a recipe I found on King Arthur Flour's wesbite. 

Recipe photo
Image from http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/magic-in-themiddles-recipe
I figure the combo of chocolate and peanut butter is one with which you cannot go wrong. (Unlike other bakers who do an amazing job capturing their work in progress, it is best for me NOT to show a step by step version. Seriously, I am perhaps one of the messiest cooks you will ever encounter, and my stuff, while usually tasting pretty good, never looks all that pretty.)

I also planted some seeds that will hopefully sprout into seedlings over the next couple of weeks. If all goes well, I will have a small garden with tomatoes, zucchini, yellow squash, cucumbers, and green peppers. Fingers crossed that my notorious black thumb doesn't crush my future plans.

Other than that, it was a lot more yard work (despite the overcast skies and chilly air), a long walk while chatting on the phone with my parents, and a few other random chores. Nothing exciting, but enough to keep me busy. Still, I managed to think of several potential blog posts throughout the day--it is strange how certain activities trigger memories that seem not at all related to what you are doing--but actually writing about any of them has proven to be elusive. Has anyone else ever thought that perhaps it would be better to write out a blog entry then type it up to share? While in grad school, I picked up the habit of handwriting a majority of my papers before finishing the final draft. Considering how I used to write everything only on the computer (except for in-class essays, of course), it seems almost like a step backwards technologically. Yet, I still think that perhaps pencil and paper would help me capture some of these fleeting ideas in a way that I can flesh out at a later date. If you haven't figured it out by now, I have a lot to say, even if no one else cares to hear it :)

Alas, today is not the day that I explore the joys of traveling solo, recollect fond memories of watching my tent fly over a cliff, or reminisce about being a member of the defense team working to prove that Ashley Thornhill was not guilty of murder. So, until I manage to get pencil to paper or break down the mental block preventing me from writing anything remotely interesting, I bid you adieu. Enjoy the rest of your evening, and here is hoping you all have an excellent week ahead!





No comments:

Post a Comment